Subject: Re: Size really does matter
From: [email-masked] (DOUG RICHARDSON)
To: Carl Andrew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 16:21:59 -0800

You wrote: 

>
>I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna buy a PAR. I'm placing my order this Thursday. 
>My question is... what size drive should I get? I have my eye set on a 
>1.7 giggle byte Micropolis drive. Is this enough to get me 10 minutes of 
>animation? This is also an Internal drive. Are there any obvious problems 
>you PAR owners can alert me to ahead of time? Do I have to foll around 
>with master/slave jumpers and all that?
>
>Secondly, I plan to get this from B&H electronics in New York. They seem 
>to have a good price. Better than anyone else I've called. Have any of 
>youhad any negative experienes with B&H? Have any ofe you had any 
>positive experiences with B&H.
>
>Finally, I'm also getting a TBC IV. Any comments on this puppy? Is it an 
>easy install? Is it easy to use it with the Toaster? Is it eay to use it 
>with the PAR? Am I gonna be up till midnight (like I was when I got my 
>Toaster Software) installing this or will I actually get to  play with it 
>over the weekend?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>-Carl
>
I have the PAR with the 1.7gig micropolis and am able to get about 13minutes
of animation or live video. The micropolis drive is a thick one so it will 
only fit in my A4000's 5.25" drive bay.
With the TBC IV attached I can grab live video in chunks of several minutes
at high Q levels. I have actually recorded 15minutes of video in small 
chunks to edit them. Works OK. Its kind of cool to use Hollywood FX on the 
video clips.
As far as installing them goes. I had no troubles. No jumpers to change. The 
micropolis drive came configured for the master position. The TBC and PAR 
must sit side by side for video capture.
The PAR setup is very worthwhile. They post new updates on their BBS often.